Brexit advice for Swiftcover car insurance customers

This page was last updated on Friday 23rd July 2021. To the best of our knowledge, the information below is correct, but we’ll continue to update it in line with Government guidance.

As of 2nd August 2021 unless you’re travelling to Moldova, Montenegro or North Macedonia, you’ll no longer need a green card when travelling to countries in the European Union (EU) & the European Economic Area (EEA). However, if you’re travelling in Europe before 2nd September, we recommend that you still take a green card to avoid any delays. This is because it may take some time for the news to filter out across the EU and EEA.

Here are some FAQs about green cards, and how to request one from us, as well as other information you need to know about driving in the EU.

If this advice changes, we will let you know as soon as possible.

Green cards

Accidents while driving abroad

Will this guidance change?

It’s unlikely, but if there is any change in the way you request a green card from us, we’ll let you know.

Where can I find further information?

Leaving the EU will affect most of us in some way, but it helps to be prepared.

Stay in-the-know by regularly checking the Government website.

And for the latest insurance advice, visit the ABI website.